Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Week 67

Subject: Signing off

Hi everybody!

So, the days of dominion have begun. Just kidding, but President Newell has already implemented some changes in the mission, namely changing transfer day to Wednesday instead of Thursday. We found out yesterday via text message from the assistants. Surprise! This is the last full day of the transfer, tomorrow's p-day, you're leaving on Wednesday! I was shocked and wasn't sure if I was happy about that or not. We were over in the tourist area of the city, actually, so we sat down and made some plans and quickly cleared our schedule. It all has worked out really well.
President called late last night to tell Sis Brown that she would be staying and getting a 2nd transfer missionary. She's very nervous, but I know she'll be ok. I packed this morning and because of the box I sent home and the stuff I don't want to take with me, both my suitcases are barely full. I don't really know what happened, but I'm not complaining! One of my suitcases' wheels are non-functional, ok, ripped to shreds, so I was able to pack that one lightly. It's great! The train ride tomorrow should be really fun. Elder Rowley is going to Sundsvall, Elder Olsen is going to Gubbängen, and Elder Alder is going home, so the face of our district is totally changing. I get to take the train with a ton of fun people. We have to be at the mission home by 5pm tomorrow and then on Thursday they have a whole day of activities lined up for us. Supposedly, the changes are so it makes it easier for the dying missionaries to adjust and for the new missionaries to get to their areas sooner. I think that sounds good. We'll see on Thursday. I hope the activities include being introduced to the king and queen. President Newell knows them pretty well :)

We had our combined Malmö-Göteborg zone conference on Saturday to meet the Newells. They are lovely people. Very real and sincere. We could tell they already loved us, and though apprehensive about everything, ready to do what was required of them. Amazing examples of faith. I've never had an up-close look into the life of an ambassador, but Pres. Newell described their experiences here in Sweden and they were amazing. 40-bedroom house, fancy dinners, meeting everyone important in Sweden and tons of foreign dignitaries. He's also had quite the career in the US it seems. Really cool to hear about. He of course is humble about it, but honest, so it made for a really fun couple of hours.

Right after we ran over to Utby's chapel for Kleber's baptism. It was absolutely beautiful. It worked out that the Portuguese member from our ward was able to come and speak. Her husband, Anders, did the confirmation the next day in Portuguese as well. Elder Webster did the baptism in Portuguese and I spoke in Spanish. I was so nervous because I hadn't practiced or anything. I had Elder Bednar's talk, 'Receive the Holy Ghost' in Spanish just in case I blanked, but the Spirit filled my mouth and I was able to say what I needed to. All the Portuguese speakers said they understood perfectly and complemented my clear Spanish. Anders even said that he understood me better than anybody in Spain. When I told him I'd learned in Guatemala, he said, "That's why!" It would have made Maria, my Spanish teacher, proud :) They always said Guatemalan Spanish is the best.

The baptism and confirmation made my life. It was so wonderful and Spirit-filled. K was so ready and expressed so much gratitude and sincere dedication to continuing to change his life. After the confirmation we went back to our ward for Sacrament meeting. It also made my life when the 2nd counselor thanked me for all my service and asked for me to come and bear my testimony. I said, "You like me! You really like me!" Just kidding, but I felt like that. Per G. Malm was sitting on the stand that day. That was a little nerve wracking at first, but maybe not so much since I know most of his family and love them. It also made my life when R got up near the end and bore a confident, sweet testimony about how the Spirit had helped him understand better the nature of God, something he'd been seeking to know for a year. He's normally very shy and doesn't say much even when we ask him direct questions. We could see that our baby was all grown up and feeling more comfortable. We were so happy.

Otherwise, we've been trying to wrap up and prepare for the changes ahead. I'm so grateful for my mission and the multitude of lessons I've learned along the way. See you in 3 days!!

Love,

Syster Maxwell

No comments: