Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Week 4

Hello everyone!

Another week, another breakdown. Just kidding! All is well in Zion... I mean at the MTC. Ack! Missionary humor. It'll kill ya, or at least your social life.

So I loved Brian's news about the Provo Mission split. We actually had the new mission president of the new NM mission come yesterday. His wife spilled the beans in her devotional talk to us. It's Elder Spencer Jones of the 2nd quorum of the 70. Funny.

Oh, happy anniversary Mom & Dad and Jeff and Melissa. Sorry I missed your birthday, Jeff. I thought about you on the 24th! I swear I did!

In other news I was called as coordinating sister this week. I get to go to lots of extra meetings and be the high and might enforcer of the rules :) Oh and make people feel happy and good about themselves. The Norwegians left this week, which is why I took Sis Bergren's spot for that. Elder DeCosta, the previous zone leader recommended me for it, he said. He told me once that I should be a school teacher because I looked nice. And he thought I was a genius because I've already graduated. We took pictures with all the scandinavian missionaries and their flags on sunday before they left. It's a lot quieter around here now, but our missionaries focus more, so that's a plus. Another result of their leaving is that we are now friends with the Dutch sisters. We thought they hated us and they thought we didn't like them. The Norwegian elders put a wedge between us because they weren't allowed to talk to them anymore because they had started flirting a lot, but they would talk to us. That's what Elder DeCosta said anyway. He liked the rumor mill.

Last week, I got my mascara stolen while I was in the bathroom. My comp had been out there and said it was probably the short haired sister going to the SL Visitor's center who never smiles because she was the last one there. I asked her about it and she said she didn't have it. A few days later, I saw her bag of stuff and she had two mascaras! Sure enough, a few days later, I found it neatly waiting for me by the sink. Mystery solved! It was quite the scandal :) I ran into Miriam Deaver this week. She is a coordinating sister too. Turns out we are next door neighbors and we had no idea! It was really fun to get to know her a little better. She talked about how Dad put her at ease the night before she left. It's always fun to talk to people who know your parents too. It's also nice to know that people don't find Dad scary ;) So, a little bit about gym. The elders love 4 square. It is their passion and they would come in every day reveling in how long they were king or who got who out. Funny. 4 Square. I also had an elder ask if I was a marathon runner this week. He said it was because I am always running laps when he comes. That is true. I run almost the whole time (I've started memorizing scriptures while I run. It's great!), but it's only about 30 minutes--far from a marathon. I was flattered nonetheless. Also, I ran into an elder the other day on the track. He was standing in the way, I moved, but he moved and we collided. I hit him pretty hard, and was really embarrassed the rest of the time. It's amazing how much more awkward things are here. Any talk or show of anything boy-girl, related and it's a big deal. Oh dear. I feel like I've gone back 10 years. In the TRC me and Sis Page taught two recently returned Elders. That was awkward. Probably the worst lesson we've ever taught because we felt so self conscious.

Also, the other day, there was a cacauphony of hymns being hummed in the shower after gym. Then, out of the chaos someone started singing Beautiful Savior and a three part harmony broke out. Anyone's humming is fair game in the shower and we often get little anonymous choirs going. It's fun.

Ok, times up. I love the gospel. I love the Lord. I'm glad I'm here. I love you all. Don't forget Dear Elder.com :)

Love,

Amy

No comments: