Monday, April 26, 2010

Week 5

Nice story, mom. It gives me hope for the people here. I was actually thinking about that the other day, how 60 years ago, North Carolina was no stronger than it is here and even less so. People here have to stay strong in a land where God has no importance. It's really sad that they don't even have the opportunity to choose to believe in God because they don't ever learn to appreciate it.


Last P-Day we went into Stockholm and wandered around Gamla Stan, the old part. It was fantastic! I had never been in a real, old (or real old for that matter) European city before. It had all the crooked, cobblestone streets I could have ever asked for. Fun color, great angles, cute boutiques, sidewalk cafes, old churches, a bridge or two and water on all sides! I wore my best outfit and my red shoes, so I felt like I fit in quite well, like I was in an old spy movie or something (Charade? Dare I compare myself to Audrey Hepburn? Yes!). It was great! We walked past the Nobel Museum which is closed on Mondays as is most everything else, sadly, and took a picture. I tried to attach some pictures, but it didn't work, so we'll see if I have time.

Speaking of which President Anderson is not very strict in rules on time spent on the internet and music. He lets us decide, which is quite nice for me and tells a lot about the missionaries here on the whole. We can take the time we need as long as it's not excessive. And we can listen to any music we want as long as it is uplifting and does not detract from the Spirit, so my music is a go! Sister Wood, being a musician herself loves classical music as much as I do. Last week we were listening to Brahms' A German Requiem and she mentioned how she loves the Faure requiem. Ta Da! Whipped it out! I would like to say though, Dad, that I chose to take off all the Mahler except the 2nd symphony and yesterday I put it on and Sis. Wood said that her favorite was the 5th she thought. I couldn't find it even though I remember that it was in my list. I must have deleted it! Unfortunate! We usually save the classical music for our unwinding, journal time at the end of the night and stick to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or the like in the mornings before study.

Another fun happening from this week...We have our district meetings in Stockholm, so we get to go into the city on Thursdays. This Thursday was terribly gray and rainy, but as we went up the street we could hear a drum beat. My first thought was, "who would be beating a drum on the street," thinking it was some street musician. Then, to our surprise came a 25 or 30 horse parade with royal guards decked out in their blue uniforms and lustrously shiny, pointy helmets. They had instruments, but were not playing them. We watched them and Sister Wood took some pictures before they disappeared up the street and we continued on our way. We hear that wasn't normal. There's a changing of the guards, but that's closer to the palace.

After district meeting we went over to one of our investigator's houses to clean up for a dinner we were having over there with a member, her inactive daughter, a young single adult from the area, us, and this investigator. She's in a wheelchair because of her weight, so she can't clean very well. She has a home service that cleans for her a couple times a week (provided by the gov't), but they don't really clean anything. It seems like they just wipe over everything and leave what doesn't come up on the first try. We finally cleaned up the slice of cucumber and melted something or other that has been on the floor since I got here (month ago) and vacuumed the cat hair off of the couch, pillows and chairs. I thought about Ted while sucking clumps of cat hair up from their favorite cushion. Good thing I'm not allergic.

Also, we had kind of a bummer week as far as weather and lessons went, but Saturday we met with our investigator from the Congo and the man he lives with. We showed them the Restoration video in French. They both speak French and Swahili, but our investigator only speaks English while his friend speaks only Swedish besides that, so we all translated for each other. It was really interesting. So, after the movie and talking about the Book of Mormon, this man said that he did not doubt Joseph Smith's experience because he too had an experience similar to Joseph Smith when he said that if he had not seen the things he had, he would not believe them either. He was in prison and was able to escape miraculously. He didn't go into details, but it sounded like he had just been able to walk out without anyone noticing. He believes there should just be one church and one faith. God would not want his children to be confused. The Spirit was so strong and when we left, I said to Sister Wood, "So is that what they call 'golden'?" She said, "Yep, that was pretty golden." I hope he is able to read and come to church and find what he's looking for.

Last thing. We had our music night last night. I sang with Sis Wood and played two flute pieces. They were way easy, but sounded nice. People loved it and said I sounded great, but then they started talking about a Sister who had been here 3 years ago who supposedly played for general conference this last time. Music and the Spoken word? There's always someone better :) But I was pleased and people enjoyed it. There was also a Russian choir that came and sung which was so fun! Anyway, off I go. Hope everyone is doing well. I keep you all in my prayers. I am still happy to be here and enjoying it. The other day we discovered a nature reserve with great bike trails which was actually the fastest way to bike from Jakobsberg to Akalla. The Lord loves me! I know he loves you all to and I really hope you are all doing what you need to be doing to remember that. I'm understanding our part more and more. I always knew it was important, but I'm seeing examples every day of how faith is a principle of action and without doing something we lose it. Funny how rich the simple things of the gospel are. Love you all!

Syster Maxwell

No comments: