Monday, April 5, 2010

Week 1 in Sweden

29 March 2010
Hello all!


So, I'm in Sweden. It's finally hitting me that I'm actually in Europe. It was all surreal the first few days, but the different architecture, food, and language not to mention the fantastic public transportation system are starting to sink in. Everyone told me that Stockholm was one of the most beautiful, clean cities they'd ever seen and that the entire country of Sweden followed suit, but what I found when I got here was a gray, grimey place with just as much litter as in similarly grimey US cities. It came as a shock, but after a few days I realized these were effects of the still-clinging winter and my companion says they clean up all the gravel and junk when winter is over. I started trying to imagine what it would look like when everything is green, and I can say that I'm very excited for the summer to come.
The darkness is normal now. It's light by about 5 in the morning I believe and gets dark about 6:30 or 7, so that's not too much different yet. The sun has only been out half of the time, but they tell me it is also sunnier in the summer more often. I came at the end of the worst winter they have had in 40 years, so I'm very grateful for the timing. On our last Sunday in Utah it was beautiful! I swear it was in the 60s, sunny and clear. A lady came up to us and enthusiastically let us know it was going to be like that all next week. We told her we were leaving the next day for Sweden. Oh the irony! It's been in the 30s when it's cloudy and the 40s when the sun is out, so I've just been wearing a jacket another sister left in the apartment. There's a huge bag of clothes in the apartment that I'm going to sort through today and see if there is anything worth the wearing. I'll save my big coat for next winter. It will be perfect!
So, the 11 of us going to Sweden plus 2 senior couples going to other European couples had an overnight flight to Paris. The airport was lovely and we all bought something French to eat, so we would feel like we had officially been there. I got a stamp in my passport. It might just be an exit stamp, but it's a stamp nonetheless. I got to see a bit of England and France, though it was mostly clouded over, but on the next flight, it was fun to fly over what might have been Denmark. Lots of lakes. I sat next to a lady from Scotland who's lived in Sweden for many years. She was nice when I actually had the nerve to talk to her since she looked so severe at first. The food they served was the prettiest airplane food I'd ever seen. French airplane food! I wish I'd taken a picture, but I felt silly.
So, president and sister Anderson met us at the airport and were very kind. We spent a couple of nights at the mission home getting acquainted with the country and the culture. We did a session at the temple all in Swedish and went contacting in Stockholm later that day. Not a good experience, but it's gotten better :) We went to the young adult center they have in Stockholm. I didn't know about these, but they are like institutes with a missionary focus and have lots of activities. They have them all over Europe and have been really great for the young single adults here. I didn't realize that Elder Kopishka (sp?) is the Area President for this part of Europe (all of Europe?). Cool. You did say that you were on good terms now, right, Dad? Also, Sis. Anderson was your mom's visiting teacher for years, Aubrie, and they said their son climbs up mountains with your dad. Ted, you really should try that new-fangled-emailing-missionaries thing. It's awesome.
Well, we got our assignments on Thursday with the usual pomp and circumstance. They have you read a letter with your assignment and trainer, but the trainers don´t have their nametags on when they come in. The goal is that you´ll go and talk with each one in Swedish to figure out who it is. Luckily for me, we had met my trainer on Wed when we did contacting and she had accidentally revealed her true identity then, so I just went and gave her a hug. We all then had kebob pizza (i.e. pizza with kebob on it. So good!)
So, I'm now in the Jakobsberg area which is the northwestern part of Stockholm. It's the Järfälla commune. I live in Barkarby specifically. I think that's ok to say. Our area is fairly large and we take public transit everywhere, so half of the day is spent traveling it seems. Swedes don't talk to each other on the bus, so mostly we've been striking up conversation with people who don't look Swedish. Half of the ward is Spanish speaking, so I should technically be able to speak spanish to them, but I now have a problem speaking all Spanish and not mixing in Swedish. It's very distressing. Anyway, I should wrap this up. I love the ward. They are all such wonderful people. There are about 30 people that come and about 200 or so on the ward list I think, so we have a lot of inactive finding and visiting work on our plate as well. There is also one investigator with a baptismal date. He is way cool. Also, we are starting a Swedish class for people who've just moved here, so we've been putting up a lot of posters for that. It's very exciting, and we're hoping to have a great transfer!
Oh, and my companion is Sister Wood from Cedar City, UT. She's outspoken and very nice. Also very patient. I hope feeling like dead weight will soon pass :)
This email is far too long, but I am feeling great. I am getting less and less self conscious about my clothes, and more and more excited to share the message of the restored gospel with those that are ready and willing to hear it. I have so much more I could say, but I should probably save it. Love you all. Pray for the members here. They need it!
Syster Maxwell
PS Jet lag is not too bad. I feel like I did all through school.

No comments: